Thursday, January 31, 2008

Feeling Frenchy

I have no idea if this hat has any true French origins, but I love saying the word "beret". I have my own personal French expert with whom I might consult on this point (she knows who she is). But, for now, let's just move on to the eye-candy, shall we?





Pattern: One-Day Beret from Kirsten at Through the Loops.
Yarn: Coordinating colors of Koigu (KPM and KPPPM) (not gonna give you the color #s as you probably can't find it now anyway)
Purchased at: Purl Soho in NYC on a girls' weekend with my sis.
Needles: US 1 & 2 circs from KnitPicks
Button: Handcarved ebony wood button from my LYS.




I loved this pattern. Because you work it from the top down, you can use any weight yarn without the dreaded GAUGE swatch. I used sock yarn, so it took more than one day, but it was worth it. The colors in this yarn just entranced me as I knitted. KPPPM is a unique experience.



I think I will be making another one of these hats with this:




It's Brown Sheep Handpaint Originals in the "New England Fall" colorway. I picked up three skeins of this at Earth Guild in Ashevile a while back. Total impulse buy, but can you blame me? The bulkier weight will be perfect for this hat.

And so I will be extra Frenchy in my berets this winter. Speaking of France, we were driving around town a few days ago when my littlest guy yelled, "Look, it's Paris!" He was pointing to a cell tower. We may need to plan a trip to France.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quel beau chapeau! I definitely think a trip to France is in order.