Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Pinched by a leprechaun



So yesterday was St. Patrick’s Day. It’s usually my favorite, no obligations kinda holiday. And my favorite color is green. But after the last few days, I feel like the leprechauns did a number on me. The past week was filled with those minor annoyances that, standing alone, are easily brushed off. But this week I was dog-piled by the chaos goddesses. I had a week of dead car batteries, sinus infections, missed one year-old birthday parties (my favorite kind), and this:






My son broke his arm in a basketball game. It’s not a bad break and should be healed in time for his piano recital. But still, he’s my baby, and it hurt.



With the true spirit of a nine-year old, he selected a green cast in honor of St. Patrick’s Day. And we were rewarded with a visit from a rowdy group of leprechauns that snuck into our house and made all kinds of mischief. Like this:



Eeewwwww. That’s green leprechaun pee.



They also opened all the cabinet doors and drawers in the kitchen. Luckily, there was no major damage, and they left us a pile of chocolate coins.



So, I'm moving on, hoping for a better week. But I remain stimulated by all the green, and I’m craving something green to knit. Perhaps I’ll cast on with this lovely green silk from Sundara ("Evergreen over Lime"):





Or maybe this Fleece Artist Merino Sock in "Rainforest":





Or even this hurt-your-eyes bright green from Wollmeise ("Lowenzahn").





And then there’s this Hazel Knits Artisan Sock in "Greenlake"?



Nummy. Nothing like a little stash-diving to soothe rustled nerves. I just hope the leprechauns didn’t mess with my knitting needles.


No comments: