Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Isn’t she lovely?


(And yes, I will be singing that song in my head for the rest of the day, thank you very much.)


Anyway, here is the third and final installment of "Fun with Bronze Knitwear Models." This gorgeous lady is Sara the Sauratown Woman. She is one of the three statues that greet visitors at the front door of the North Carolina History Museum. She is the forensic reconstruction of how anthropologists believe a seventeenth-century Native American woman from the Saura tribe would have appeared.
I thought that it would be appropriate to feature a Native American in a posting so close on the heels of Earth Day and at the end of Earth Week. Native Americans have a direct and spiritual connection with nature and the earth. Sometimes I think all of our efforts to be more "green" are, in some ways, an effort to recapture something that Native Americans understood deeply. If only we could regain just a small portion of their perception, understanding and respect for our natural environment.

Speaking of green, Sara is holding in her hand the triangle kerchief that I knit in a sport weight 100% silk yarn from Sundara in the "Evergreen over Lime" colorway. The pattern is from Last Minute Knitted Gifts . Easy peasy. I love this little kerchief. I used just about every bit of yarn in the skein. Here it is in progress:







I did not like the rough edges of the triangle, so I added a little crocheted picot edge on two sides.




It feels lovely. The colors are brilliant. I will be looking for any excuse to wrap it around my neck or head. And I like to think that Sara blessed it for me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the color!

Anonymous said...

I want the pattern!!